Extreme Weather Response Shelter On-Call Shelter Workers
Hours: 12-hour shift, on-call – based on an issued Extreme Weather Alert
Salary: Shelter Workers – $24.00/hour
Shelter Team Leaders – $26.00/hour
The Purpose Society is preparing to offer an Extreme Weather Response (EWR) Shelter from the first floor (Front Street level) of the Army and Navy building.
The Extreme Weather Response (EWR) program is a community-based service that provides temporary emergency shelter spaces during periods of extreme winter weather, which threaten the health and safety of individuals experiencing homelessness. The EWR program operates from November 1st through March 31st of each year.
In the event of extreme weather, the New Westminster EWR Coordinator will call an extreme weather alert in accordance with procedures and criteria outlined in the New Westminster Extreme Weather Response Plan. In the municipality of New Westminster, Extreme Weather Alerts are issued when the following criteria are met:
- Temperatures at or below 0 degrees Celsius or feels like 0 degrees Celsius given the wind chill;
- Heavy rain, in combination with low temperatures close to 2 degrees Celsius;
- Three or more days of rain creating conditions where it is difficult for people to keep dry;
- Snow accumulation; or,
- Sustained or steady winds of 70 km/h or wind gusts up to 90 km/h that present a risk to those living outdoors.
There will be four staff on for each shift: one Team Leader and three Shelter Workers. These are ‘awake’ positions. The EWR Shelter will be open from 8:00 p.m. through 8:00 a.m. There will be three possible shifts:
- One shift 7:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m. (this shift will have primary responsibility for preparing the shelter opening at 8:00 p.m.)
- Two shifts 8:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- One shift 9:00 p.m. – 9:00 a.m. (this shift will have primary responsibility for the final clean up at the conclusion of each shelter)
- Setting up of mats, bedding, first aid and hygiene supplies for each session
- Administrative tasks (signing clients in, issuing bedding, recording statistics)
- Overseeing meals (soup/sandwiches in the evening, instant oatmeal/muffins in the morning)
- Ensuring the safety and security of all clients attending the shelter as well as the immediate area outside the shelter
- Cleaning up shelter space at the conclusion of each shelter session
Please email your interest and resume to Dawn Embree as soon as possible.
Part-time hours: 12-36 per week
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: $24.00-$26.00 per hour